Monday, April 11, 2016

BLESS PUBLIC LIBRARIES & VISITORS CENTRES

DAY 7

SUNDAY 10 APRIL 2016

PISMO BEACH TO MORRO BAY

1020 - 1815

59.71km (37.1 miles)
Av. Speed: 14.7 km/h (9.1 mph)
Max. Speed 48.4 km/h (30.1 mph)
Time on Bike: 4h 03m 41s

My general obsession with public libraries is quite understandable, I believe.

For a start I have worked in one, on and off, for 17 years.

Secondly without proper maps or GPS on this trip, they are my way forward.

Alternatively also, I have found some visitors centers in the past couple of days which have been more than helpful.

Pismo Beach VC was actually open on a Sunday, which suited me down to the ground.

This after running around like an idiot for the first hour looking for a library open on a Sunday.

I had ventured as far a Arroyo Grande for the (lost) cause although in doing so, rekindled memories of my previous visit to this area in 2004 as I clearly recalled having called into the Arroyo Grande library on a foggy March day back then....

If only I'd known about this little visitor's center....

From here, I made my way, ably assisted on this occasion by things they call maps.

Straight up Price Canyon Road out of Pismo Beach, I immediately entered the beautiful, rolling wine country of Edna, which for an hour or so, was an absolute delight.



EDNA VALLEY WINE COUNTRY 

Whether I'd intended it or not, I was also destined to re-acquaint myself with the town of San Luis Obispo, which I'd stayed at back in 2004.

When I hit SLO around lunchtime, cruising through the old town made me appreciate what a lovely little town SLO actually is.

It is a college town, which means heaps of young people.

And for my own selfish means, the California Polytechnic University also meant that their library was probably one of the only open on a Sunday.

With maps at hand, finding my way around for once, was quite straightforward.

I made way across to the highly impressive Cal Poly campus, which upon entry displays a football stadium which my Sydney team the Manly Sea Eagles would surely envy.

If poor old Brookvale Oval was half as glamorous and well appointed as this, the mighty Eagles would certainly have all their worries washed away.....

As hoped the Cal Poly library was well and truly open (until 2 am no less!!) which gave me access to Google Maps (bless...) and some time to catch up on this blog.

By 4.30, it was time to get moving to my destination, the beautiful Morro Bay where I planned a 2-night stay before taking on the Big Sur coastal highway between San Simeon and Monterey.


No comments:

Post a Comment