Friday, April 8, 2016

THE MOST EXPENSIVE CAMPGROUND IN THE CIVILISED WORLD

DAY 2

TUESDAY 5 APRIL 2016

MALIBU TO OXNARD

1200 - 2015

Trip: 76.19 km (47.34 miles)
Av. Speed: 14.9 km/h (9.2 mph)
Max Speed: 55.7 km/h (34.6 mph)
Time on Bike: 5h 05m 24s

Malibu Beach RV park is an obvious camping location on this particular strip of California coastline, so it was not a difficult decision to pull in for an overnight stay right on 6 pm.

I had previously designated for Day 1 to take as little toll on me physically as possible.

This is in direct contrast to all other bicycle tours I have undertaken over the years whereby I always attempt to set national records from the starters's gun and gradually wind it back from there.

Whilst it may have been an overall expression of my enthusiasm and excitement at taking on a new challenge, my body always picked up the bill for days thereafter.

At age 44, perhaps I'm starting to learn....

Finding a place to stay is invariably a big relief as a day draws to a close, no matter what distance has been covered.

Secondary to this is what you actually end up paying for the privilege.

On the occasions when free accommodation presents itself, this is obviously irrelevant.

Otherwise, the bean counter in me often gets involved.

I know that, for instance, being asked to pay more than say $20 in any world currency for the opportunity to pitch one's own tent on a patch of dirt in exchange for the use of a hot shower and at best, the nominal use of electricity and/or laundry facilities is nothing short of a rip-off.These days, some wi-fi internet can come in handy as well.

So I am still trying to coalesce all this with being charged US$45 to do what I needed to do in Malibu - which was to have a shower and sleep overnight in my own tent, basically.

I know I would be justified in writing in length to the President about this, although I doubt he, or anyone else for that matter, would care to listen.

With this dose of culture shock far from fully administered, I otherwise got through the night.OK.

NOW THIS IS A BICYCLE TREK.....

A chance meeting with a fellow cyclist is always something I enjoy and crossing paths with Tim Bridgman on my first night on the road was something I suspect will stay with me for a fair while.

Tim came and introduced himself in the dark after noticing my rig on his way to the amenities.

He too, was on a bike and after comparing a few notes in passing, it was obvious he was on some kind of mission.

Aside from the incredible nature of his 50 000 km+ something trek, which had begun at the northern-most point of Norway some 4 years previously, it was the harrowing context of how he had come to the point of speaking with me this particular night in Malibu, California that really left its mark.

Tim and his wife Sharon had left Norway in 2012 and cycled the full extent of the European and African continents from north to south (Nordkapp, Norway to the Cape of Good Hope) before commencing the "return" leg of their journey from Cape Horn to (eventually) Barrow, the northern-most point of Alaska.

Tim then revealed to me that it was whilst cycling through Bolivia in 2014 that his wife was hit and killed by an SUV from behind in the middle of nowhere. Just like that.

It blew me away.

Totally having to confront a cyclist's worst nightmare, as well as losing a wife and travelling partner, Tim's scenario would be otherwise unthinkable if hadn't have really happened.

And as it should, serves to remind anyone undertaking any style of serious adventure, whether it be cycling or something else, that our individual fates are largely at the behest of the Gods at any given moment.

To Tim's absolute credit however, he decided to hit the trail again in 2015 from the precise point of the accident in Bolivia - this, after a period of forced hiatus/grieving/restlessness at home in the U.K and continues north towards Alaska as I type.

Good luck champion!

SEA FOG AND THE CALIFORNIA COAST

I'm learning quickly that these two go hand-in-glove.

Malibu Beach RV park, located as it is clinging to the beachfront offers some stunning vistas of said coastline in both directions.

I had planned an obligatory photo stop on departure before topping up with water and heading on my way.

With everything packed and ready by 9.20 a.m, I was just about to throw my leg over and start rolling down the hill when I looked up to see that a massive blanket of sea fog had arrived in Malibu, right on cue.

With checkout not until 12 p.m, I decided to sit it out, which did give me an opportunity to rest up and also go and hang out with Tim for a bit.

So for the next 2½ hours, the fog didn't really budge.

And just as it had at 9.20, right on cue at 11.50, the fog spontaneously lifted and I was away.

Bound for somewhere north, possibly Santa Barbara.



THIS IS THE MALIBU COASTLINE WITHOUT SEA FOG
ON THE ROAD, DAY 2

Rough plan was to make it to Santa Barbara with Oxnard and Ventura serving as worthy backups.

I now felt the journey was underway.

PCH began to roll and wind and climb and dip underneath me as I began to put a little more distance between myself and the L.A maelstrom.

And beyond the extended commercial zone of Malibu, PCH unveils some seriously beautiful coastal scenery almost all the way to Oxnard.



SYCAMORE COVE, POINT MUGU STATE PARK

So far I've noticed the allowance made for cyclists all along PCH - it's been impressive.

Although signage is not exemplary, there is a wide, usable shoulder for about 80% of the time and elsewhere are dedicated laneways, especially approaching traffic signals.

It makes life easier.

Traffic is about as bad as could be expected although with the good shoulders and extra lanes, it releases the pressure valve somewhat.

Approaching Oxnard around 3.30 p.m, I was still on schedule to make Santa Barbara some time before dark, but as Oxnard closed its grip on me, it became clear that I was going no further.

No major dramas or anything, but certain things like getting completely lost for about 20 minutes due to poor signage & the absence of a map along with a shortage of cash and a need for some solid sustenance drew me into Oxnard by necessity.

By the time I eventually reached downtown, it was 4.30 and it was time for some food.

Mexican restaurants beckoned to me on every visible corner so it seemed at least one decision was made.

I also made haste for the local library to scope out accommodation options and when I was able to confirm that there was camping to be had at Macgrath State Beach, about 30 minutes ride from downtown, I was committed to the cause.

My penultimate mission however, was also to grab some cash before going any further, which also took about 25 minutes once I had located the extremely low-profile ATM machine in 3rd Street.

One final task was also to find a supermarket to stock up - the local "Von's" was on my way so a plan was set.

Tuesday's light was in its very final throes when I finally made it to Macgrath State Beach around 7.30 p.m.

On approach, I could see clearly that the prognosis wasn't good.

"CLOSED" said the signage barricading the public from gaining any access whatsoever to the beachside camping ground and I went off!!!

With rapidly failing light, I had to rummage around in the panniers for my headlamp and its bracket that I would need to be re-attached to my helmet to guide me back to town.

I had fortunately also scoped out a "Plan B" during my earlier library time and had at least some idea of where to look for a reasonably priced motel in Oxnard.

It was 8.15 p.m when I eventually checked into the Flamingo Motel on Oxnard Blvd.

So this is where I spent the night.











































No comments:

Post a Comment