Tuesday, April 19, 2016

NEXT STOP SAN FRAN

DAY 16

TUESDAY 19 APRIL 2016

SANTA CRUZ TO PIGEON POINT

1100 - 1615

48.51km (30.14 miles)
Av. Speed: 15 km/h (9.3 mph)
Max. Speed 54.8 km/h (34 mph)
Time on Bike: 3h 13m 26s

THE EMPEROR'S NEW SHOES

It was only ever to be an overnighter in Santa Cruz this time around.

I had stayed in this very hostel 12 years ago and it is equally as nice now as it was then.

On the way out of Santa Cruz this morning, I swung by the local Safeway to stock up as I anticipated the remoteness of my next stop at Pigeon Point and would likely be dining in on arrival.

On my right-hand side as I approached the Safeway was a bicycle store which I made a quick decision to visit in order to rectify the ongoing issue I have had with the cleats in my shoes slipping out of the pedal clips, the left side particularly.

As I entered the store and the staff took one look at my shoes, they could not believe that I was still wearing them.

I'd probably been in denial about how bad the old Shimanos really were but after serving me over time for well in excess of 10 000 kilometers, I finally had to admit that they were cactus.

So it was over to the shoe rack to try on some newbies.

20 minutes later, I was back on the bike in some brand spankers and after some readjustments to the clips, my feet felt solid in the pedals once again....



THESE ARE MY NEW SHOES

PIGEON POINT 

The ride through to Pigeon Point from Santa Cruz is largely uncomplicated.

Highway 1 directly connects the two, following the ocean for most of it.

Once I'd completed my shopping spree around 12.30, I was able to make the distance in just under 4 hours.

Today offered some overcast conditions and despite there being something of a head breeze as I pushed out of Santa Cruz, it actually dissipated as the day progressed.



ANO NUEVO BAY PANORAMIC

And by this evening, the cloud had moved on all together which made the late afternoon conditions delightful.

Pigeon Point came highly recommended by at least a couple of travellers I've crossed along the way.

The HI hostel here is right on top of the point and only meters from the historic (and slowly crumbling) old lighthouse.

So the decision to stay here was a pretty easy one and entirely vindicated as I watched a pod of 4 killer whales slowly round the point this evening just on sunset, frolicking and performing as they went.

I ran inside and notified everyone who likewise rushed out to get a good vantage point of the majestic display.

Big day coming up to San Francisco tomorrow.






PIGEON POINT VISTAS





No comments:

Post a Comment