Sunday, April 17, 2016

REST DAYS IN MONTEREY

DAYS 13 & 14

SATURDAY 16 & SUNDAY 17 APRIL 2016

My plans were to have at least one rest day here in beautiful Monterey, after all I did nearly wipe myself out along the way to get here.

Mercifully, the persistent and cold nor-westerly wind that had accompanied me from late-Wednesday onwards, dissipated overnight on Friday, leaving absolutely superb conditions over this weekend.

Monterey Bay is a lovely spot at the worst of times but this breathless weather has really made it all the more enjoyable.

I've just been meandering around, doing the usual "rest day" stuff as well as re-acquainting myself with Cannery Row and the John Steinbeck legacy from my previous visit here in 2004 and also getting to know the town layout a little better this time with a proper map to help and a daily walk down the hill from Vets Memorial campground.

The days have allowed me to find something of a routine which I could easily get used to, but probably won't.

Poking around during the day, dividing my time between the heavily touristed Cannery Row and Old Fisherman's Wharf and the nearby library which once again, has the golden advantage of free wi-fi internet access.

Then it's down to Alvarado Street where a row of bars and restaurants have extended daily "happy hours" for some $3 pre-dinner sit-down beers before finding a good feed somewhere about. 

Mexican is certainly proving the favorite here, as it is delicious and filling fare, fast service and all at reasonable prices.

Fisherman's Wharf as nice as it is, is a tourist trap with overpriced sit-down meals and nothing of outstanding value to go.

And I'm particularly enjoying exploring good Mexican cuisine, as it is the one thing we don't have a lot of back home in Australia.



CANNERY ROW, MONTEREY

MONTEREY BAY PANORAMIC



No comments:

Post a Comment