Thursday, May 26, 2016

A GREAT PLACE TO TRY NEW THINGS

DAY 51

TUESDAY 24 MAY 2016

NEWPORT - LINCOLN CITY

1110 - 1800

49.48 km (30.75 miles) - (includes 2000 km total at Safeway, Newport)
Av. Speed: 15 km/h (9.3 mph)
Max. Speed: 59.5 km/h (37 mph)
Time On Bike: 3h 17m 46s

2000 kilometers ticked over first thing this morning as I wheeled out of Newport, so I decided to celebrate with a visit to Yaquina Head Lighthouse.


 WHERE BETTER ELSE TO RACK UP 2000 KM THAN OUTSIDE SAFEWAY IN NEWPORT??

Yaquina Head is known as an "Outstanding Natural Area", whatever this means although now having visited for about 2 hours today, I do understand why.

The Oregon coast is pretty well-known for its lighthouses - 11 in total - and Yaquina Head is one of the better known that is also still in working order.

Newport also has a lighthouse about 5 miles south at Yaquina Bay - the older of the two - which is no longer in operation.

On such a stunning day with only a 30-mile ride to get through, I was happy to take some time out and explore.

First stop was the excellent interpretive center, where I learned about all sorts of things to do with lighthouses, including Fresnel lenses.

The Lighthouse trail then led me down to the lighthouse itself which sits out on an impressive mile-long prominence and at 93 feet, is the tallest of the 11 Oregon lighthouses.









Bound for Lincoln City, I set off into the headwind at about 2 pm.

With only a relatively short distance to cover today, the headwind was neither here nor there.

The sun was out and even better, it was due to be my last day on 101 for just a little while.

Beyond Lincoln City, I had it planned to head inland towards Portland on Route 18 and a well-deserved break from the 101 onslaught.

EQUIPMENT ISSUES

I began experiencing issues with my trailer en route today, which is the only equipment problem that has reared literally since Day 1.

Any equipment issue should not really be taken lightly as they can be quite debilitating at best and completely disabling at worst.

My trolley is a very important part of the setup and it is not really in good shape at the minute.

A certain stainless steel bracket which is a vital part of the pivot operation has been permanently compromised, it would seem.

In the name of getting to where I'm going, I'm applying band-aid solutions which is utilising anything I have with me at the moment.

If I can limp everything through to Portland, more drastic action may be required.


GOD BLESS THE CABLE TIE....


LINCOLN CITY

The welcome sign for Lincoln City offers it as "A Great Place To Try New Things".



SEE, IT DOES.....

D RIVER, LINCOLN CITY

I felt embraced by this spirit immediately as I rode into town, given that I had booked to stay overnight in a Yurt at the Devil's Lake State Park.

Having never stayed in a Yurt before certainly qualified as a "new thing" and I was trying it.

In addition to this is the fact that Yurts are very difficult to book, even though a lot of the State Parks in Oregon do have them available, made me feel as though I was really meant to have a nice little time here.

Despite not hearing very favorable reports about Lincoln City from passing cyclists, I found it to be quite acceptable and Devil's Park is another of Oregon's lovely State Park campgrounds with great facilities and beautifully kept grounds.

And the Yurt was a beauty for a night. 

I really did enjoy it.

















No comments:

Post a Comment