Saturday, May 28, 2016

PORTLAND, OREGON

DAY 53

THURSDAY 26 MAY 2016

MCMINNVILLE TO PORTLAND

1125 - 1730

61.95 km (38.49 miles)
Av. Speed: 16.5 km/h (10.2 mph)
Max. Speed: 47 km/h (29.2 mph)
Time On Bike: 3h 44m 58s

Welcome to Portland, the microbrewery and food cart capital of the known Universe.

But first to farewell an old friend.

After something approaching 9000 kilometers, 2200 of which has been on this trip, my "two-wheeled terror" - the aluminium trolley I have towed behind for all of my previous 3 cycle tours - has decided she's had enough and will travel now no further than Portland.

I must replace her before continuing, an event which I am hoping will take place sometime in the next couple of days.

Limping into Portland last evening, the final journey of the poor old girl was timed to the minute as I showed up outside my accommodation for the next 5 days with the entire load almost dragging along the ground.

I simply couldn't have pulled it another mile further.

PORTLANDIA

I will be taking an extended stay in Portland of 5 days to have a good look around and take some of it in.

It will also be my first experience of staying with a Warmshowers host.

Tanja Olson and her husband Darren have agreed to host me as part of the worldwide Warmshowers hospitality network which specifically benefits travelling cyclists as a means of offering accommodation (and normally an input of local knowledge) in a particular place

In return, beneficiaries are given the option of playing host in kind when available.

So this, as it happens is a first time for both of us.

Darren whisked me away not long after showering up last night for a second division Portland Timbers soccer match at the main stadium in town, Providence Park.

We warmed up with a local brew in the northwest district before wandering down to the match.

The T2's won the day 1-0 but should have been closer to 3 if their aim had been a little tidier.....



HAWTHORNE BRIDGE, PORTLAND







No comments:

Post a Comment