Friday, May 20, 2016

PISSING INTO THE WIND

DAY 44

TUESDAY 17 MAY 2016

HARRIS BEACH STATE PARK - HUMBUG STATE PARK

1020 - 1810

80.17 km (49.81 miles)
Av. Speed: 14.4 km/h (8.9 mph)
Max. Speed: 60.5 km/h (37.6 mph)
Time On Bike: 5h 32m 47s

Harris Beach was likely one of the nicest camping experiences I've had on this tour, even in spite of the appearance of some resident skunks and raccoons during the night. 

I've certainly learned my lessons with the wildlife in these parts and safely had all my contraband locked up and beyond reach, however it was maybe not quite the case with a couple of fellow "hiker/bikers" who I noticed were up and about, dancing with the chipmunks at around 11 pm when I filed into bed for the night.

A couple of hours earlier, I'd enjoyed a rare coastal sunset which I haven't had too many of along the way, but this was a beauty for my first night in Oregon....






With clear skies ahead I pushed north into the second straight day of headwinds.

As impressive as the lower sections of this Oregon coastline are, I'm much preferring being away from them, just because they are so exposed.

The worst of the wind has been in these areas - none as bad so far as Pistol River, where the westerly cross winds were knocking me sideways continually for about 30 minutes.

Much better for riding has been up in the Douglas fir pines and away from the coastline.

The recumbent is generally handling all the gusting pretty well, by the way.



ARCH ROCK

OREGON COAST SEA STACKS



ROGUE RIVER BRIDGE, GOLD BEACH






No comments:

Post a Comment