Sunday, May 15, 2016

SAMOA COOKHOUSE

DAY 39 

THURSDAY 12 MAY 2016

(REST DAY IN EUREKA)

EUREKA KOA TO SAMOA COOKHOUSE (RETURN)

1700 - 2010

23.81 km (14.79 miles)
Av. Speed: 18.6 km/h (11.6 mph)
Max. Speed: 37.6 km/h (23.4 mph)
Time On Bike: 1h 16m 43s

It was just a bleak old day in the Eureka KOA.

The Eureka KOA being where it is (in the middle of nowhere) didn't really inspire me to get out and see anything.

Not that Eureka is one of the highlights of the Pacific Coast, but I did eventually need to go out and get some dinner.

I had heard of the Samoa Cookhouse way back down the road and decided to head out there and see what it had to offer.

As much as I was hoping for a slow-cooked, underground feast of taro, suckling pig and fresh fish I was treated to a $17 "all-you-can-eat" staple of soup, salad, cooked ham, (dodgy) chicken masala and a jug or two of iced tea, just as they would have served it up to the loggers in the day.

There are no Samoans here either.

The name of the village was in fact taken from the former American Protectorate in the South Pacific, one of the few islands in that region I am yet to visit.

As a place to eat, it really was the old-fashioned "chew-and-spew" which concluded with a piece of cake for dessert which nearly tipped me beyond the point of spewing.

Fortunately for my own dignity in a foreign town, I withheld long enough to check out the historic cookhouse after dinner, which was purpose-built by the Hammond Logging Company in the latter part of the 19th century to service the town and its workers.

The building is as much today as it was then, other than the conversion of half of it to a museum which contains most of the fascinating history along with a whole raft (below average pun...) of logging paraphernalia.

And I really did enjoy the old-school meal as well....



CHEW & SPEW @ SAMOA COOKHOUSE







No comments:

Post a Comment